Lost desktop Was: Folder refresh needed

Klaus Slott list-s at vink-slott.dk
Tue Oct 16 12:14:44 BST 2012

Hi Mirko

I think you are absolutely right, there is something more to this

On 15. October 2012 10:52:17 Mirko K.wrote:
> On 14.10.2012 21:58, Klaus Slott wrote:
> > On 14. october 2012 19:17:06 I wrote:
> >> But one thing still does not work: No matter
> >> if I use a Destop folder or a Folder widget, a new file in this folder
> >> does
> >> not show up before I left click and select Refresh. Not even if I drag a
> >> file from one folder widget to another, is the content updated!
> >>
> >> Other users on this machine does not have this problem. I probably messed
> >> up some setting, before I gave up on KDE at version 4.2.something. But
> >> where?>
> > To answer my own question: At some earlier stage I was using a English
> > Desktop and when I changed to a Danish I just made Skrivebord as a
> > softlink to Desktop. Apparently KDE picks up the softlink but does not
> > monitor file changes in that.
>
> Not sure if that's true, but I use the reverse method. I have a
> German Desktop with "Arbeitsfläche" being the localised desktop
> directory, and two symlinks pointing to it:
>
> mirko at WizBox:~$ ls -dl desk Desktop
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 mirko mirko 15 Jun 15 16:22 desk -> Arbeitsfläche/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 mirko mirko 15 Jun 15 16:21 Desktop -> Arbeitsfläche/
>
> Works fine, with instant auto-refresh and all, regardless of from
> where to where I drag'n'drop (or touch a new file).

I just created a new folder and another soft link pointing to this. Then I
made 2 "Folder View" widgets showing the content of these. Moving a file to
this folder - it shows up immediately in both view.

So my initial conclusion was obviously wrong. Looking closer at my "fix" I see
that all Icons is now also displaying a ".desktop" in the name.

When I messed around with the Folder View I changed the view from "Vis
Desktop-mappen/Show desktop" to "Angiv en mappe/Select folder". Notice the
partial translation witch add to my confusion. By comparing with a user with a
working Desktop I found that on a Danish version defaults to a folder called
"Skrivebord".

Armed with this knowledge I logged out, moved both Desktop and Skrivebord out
of the way and logged in again hoping this would trigger a rebuild. But no.
Then I created a folder called ~/Skrivebord and placed a Folder View Widget on
my Desktop, but KDE does not accept this new folder as "the Desktop" and shows
the content of my ~/

If I change settings for this Folder View to "Angiv en mappe/Select folder"
and points it to ~/Skrivebord then the content of this folder is shown, but
names of Icons still includes .desktop.

I guess there is some setting somewhere in KDE which tells which folder to use
as Desktop. But I cant find it.

--
Regards
Klaus