Solved: Folder refresh needed

Mirko K. mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:52:17 BST 2012

On 14.10.2012 21:58, Klaus Slott wrote:
> On 14. october 2012 19:17:06 I wrote:
>
>> But one thing still does not work: No matter
>> if I use a Destop folder or a Folder widget, a new file in this folder does
>> not show up before I left click and select Refresh. Not even if I drag a
>> file from one folder widget to another, is the content updated!
>>
>> Other users on this machine does not have this problem. I probably messed up
>> some setting, before I gave up on KDE at version 4.2.something. But where?
>
> To answer my own question: At some earlier stage I was using a English Desktop
> and when I changed to a Danish I just made Skrivebord as a softlink to
> Desktop. Apparently KDE picks up the softlink but does not monitor file
> changes in that.

Not sure if that's true, but I use the reverse method. I have a
German Desktop with "Arbeitsfläche" being the localised desktop
directory, and two symlinks pointing to it:

mirko at WizBox:~$ ls -dl desk Desktop
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mirko mirko 15 Jun 15 16:22 desk -> Arbeitsfläche/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mirko mirko 15 Jun 15 16:21 Desktop -> Arbeitsfläche/

Works fine, with instant auto-refresh and all, regardless of from
where to where I drag'n'drop (or touch a new file).