kmail getting uppity again...

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Mar 8 23:36:09 GMT 2012

gene heskett posted on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:05:30 -0500 as excerpted:

> This is rapidly turning into a PIMA.  I would switch to claws but the
> last time I looked, it did not have an import from kmail function.  And
> my kmail corpus goes back to early 2002, nearly 10 years.  That is
> several gigs worth of messages I do NOT want to leave behind.

Note that while claws doesn't have an import from kmail function, it DOES
have a script available that will do it.  That's how I handled things
here, altho I had to hack it a bit to get it to work, since the shebang
was calling for an ancient python.  But I updated the shebang to the
version of python 2.x that I had on the system, and got it to work.  See
my older posts on the subject for further details.  (Of course, ensure
you have backups before running such a script, but it didn't screw things
up here.  I wouldn't expect a python3 to work, tho, but it might.)

I'm apparently more selective with mail than you; I use gmane's list2news
and pan for mailing lists, don't do /so/ much by mail, and generally
delete spam, so I had less mail size-wise to convert, a bit under a gig.
But I had mail going back before the turn of the century, to early 2002
from kmail, then before that, imported into kmail in 2002, from MSOE,
back to 1997 or so.

I really should probably spend a couple days going thru the oldest stuff
and deleting much of it, and I've done a bit of that, but I could
certainly do more.  I could probably get it down to ~300 MB or so if I
did.  But there's always more important, or at least more interesting,
stuff to do.