KMail freezes after adding address to addressbook

J janus at magicstar.net
Fri Jun 29 13:19:57 BST 2012

Duncan wrote:

>One of them, for people that have an IMAP server available (and at least
>one person reported installing dovecot specifically for this task, then
>uninstalling it, so that's an option too), is to upload mail to it, then
>download it to whatever, including claws if that's what they decide to
>run.  I thought about doing this and would have if necessary (doing the
>dovecot thing), but as I've never worked with IMAP and the script was
>available, it was easier for me to hack that into working again, and use
>it.

I was the one who did that.  It worked well.  I moved my Maildir to Maildir2
(and a copy in Maildir3 in case something went wrong) then pointed the dovecot
"maildir" to ~/MailDir2 and went from there.  Once it was running, it took all
of about 10 minutes to convert over 10 years of email into claws-mail.  I then
just uninstalled dovecot.  The entire procedure took about 30 minutes, mostly
from my lack of dovecot's configuration.  So I ended up with 2 new items...
knowledge of how to install and configure dovecot, and claw-mail with my 10+
year history of email.