KMail freezes after adding address to addressbook

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jun 30 05:46:19 BST 2012

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati posted on Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:21:27 -0400 as
excerpted:

> On Friday 29 Jun 2012 01:17 my mailbox was graced by a message from
> Duncan who wrote:
>> (It's worth noting that pre-akonadi kmail installs may have some mbox
>> mail folders as well.  Claws-mail can work with these directly using a
>> plugin, but it's much better to convert them to mh as well.  Converting
>> mbox is rather easier, however, than converting maildir.
>
> In fact, the File menu of Claws-Mail has an "Import Mailbox" item which
> seems to work perfectly, but only takes one folder at a time.
>
> Is there a utility to convert all folders at one go ?

I think I might have used the import mailbox function for a couple of
folders, where I had been using mbox previously (most of mine were
maildir, however, as I preferred that because it's a bit more robust),
and where I wasn't sure the akonadified maildir conversion had worked
correctly so I wanted to import the mboxes.

I'd recommend it if you have just a few.

There's a mailMBOX plugin available but I've never tried it and don't
have it installed, so can't say how well it works.  I do believe it was
broken for a bit, however, and was temporarily removed from the site
pending an update to work with newer claws-mail, so clearly, you're
better off doing a conversion to mh if you can, and not worrying about
it.  But I'm /guessing/ with the plugin, you could just load your mbox
folders normally, and then simply copy everything from there to new mh
folders, backing up the old mbox files just in case, and deleting them.
That way you never actually write to the mboxes, which being many
messages in a single file, do make me a bit nervous as if that file gets
corrupted, you lose WAY more than the single message you'd lose with a
file-per-message scheme such as maildir or mh.

In the scripts (tools) section on the site, there's also
"convert_mbox.pl", a perl script for doing the conversion from the
command line.  That might be easier... or not.  I've not used the mbox
conversion script but if it's at all like the "kmail-mailbox2claws-
mail.pl" script that I used for my maildir conversions (or the
vcard2xml.py python script I used to convert the address book from
akonadi/kmail-exported vcards), it's a bit dated and may need some
hacking to get it to work.  In which case it'd likely be easier just to
use the menu entry and do it one at a time... unless you have a LOT of
mboxs, enough to justify the hacking time if it's needed.

"The site" is click-linked from the about-box, but in case that's not
convenient, here's a link:

http://www.claws-mail.org/