Automated import of camera photos

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:32:09 GMT 2012

On 12/10/12 20:45, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On 10/12/12 14:38, dE . wrote:
>> I'd not suggest KDE. Go for Xfce, and I personally give Debian to
>> other users (although I myself use Gentoo with KDE and with no
>> buttons on the title bar).
> As an example of FUD, this message takes some beating.  Just to deal
> with a few points -
>
> KDE is, for the most part, entirely stable - just stay away from KDE-PIM.

In this release of KDE, I can open odf documents as zip archive.
In the previous release, I lost the ability to hide partitions from
device notifier.
In the previous release, folder view widget lost the scroll bar.
Forgot for previous releases....

And all these were 'stable'.

And the reason why this problem exists and will never be fixed cause
devs and key team member never admit to it.

> You recommendation to mislead her on the spam subject is objectionable.
>
> Antivirus software definitely does work - as long as it is set up to
> receive signature updates regularly.  The reason there are so many
> infected computers is that many people don't use an AV product at all,
> others install one, preferably a free-as-in-beer one, and don't
> properly set up updates.  I know one user who has used Windows daily
> for 20+ years and never had a single infection.  Education on key
> risks is the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_%28malware%29 (since 2007, detected
in 2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSChanger
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Kasperskys-Download-Site-Hacked-Directs-Users-to-Fake-AntiVirus-336193

Most of antivirus vendors dont themselves use Windows, Mcafee uses it
behind Linux.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/142318/hacked_antivirus_site_delivers_a_virus.html
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Rutkowska-AntiVirus-Software-Is-Ineffective

{Polymorphic virus --
http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792122/Review_of_the_Virus_Win32_Virut_ce_Malware_Sample
Virus makes themselves use antivirus --
http://blog.k7computing.com/2012/01/malware-authors-and-multiple-scanners}
{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stration
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=H2AEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=%22Stration%22+undetectable&source=bl&ots=-a1Fo4_QTU&sig=z3vFNBNiQTo17XWik9astg_MJNc&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22Stration%22%20undetectable&f=false}

http://www.emirates247.com/eb247/companies-markets/technology/rise-in-malware-variants-make-antivirus-solutions-insufficient-2009-11-19-1.20838
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/05/30/f-flame-virus-detection.html

And if they were confident their tools are fool-proof --

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/getsusp.aspx

Wouldn't have existed.

No signature available --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_virus

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/7/2783575/symantec-source-code-stolen-the-extortion-investigation-and-release

Unprotected rates --
https://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/family-safety/mcafee-releases-results-of-global-unprotected-rates

https://spyeyetracker.abuse.ch/
Detection rate 27% (last time it was 26%)

I myself have made experimental malware (in VB, as a newbie) which I've
even deployed (after telling my friends); anti-viruses didn't do
anything at all.

> And no, Linux isn't safe from malware.  Safer than Windows, yes, if
> you leave holes in Windows, but an unprotected computer, whichever OS
> it is using, is likely to be compromised sooner or later.

Like I don't know that. With apparmour/SElinux, noexec, it's VERY difficult.