Dolphin search anomalies KDE 4.6.0

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Apr 7 16:34:46 BST 2012

> if it has happened but that would be a useful step up from Konq. I also
> thought that the general idea was to replace konq with dolphin.

It is more an addition, i.e. having a file managment only application available
additional to the "graphical shell" Konqueror.

Konqueror with all its modes and settings specific for certain modes is mainly
addressing the needs of a type of user who like to have a wide range of
options at hand at all times.

Other users prefer simple tools even it that means not being able to do things
a certain way.

One of the options to solve this was to create another Konqueror mode that,
when activated, would lock down some of the application's capabilities.

In the end the option to create a new and dedicated application was chosen
instead for various reasons (additional and very committed developers, not
needing to add complexity to an already quite complex application, etc).

The "replacing" part of the whole change only applies to the default setting,
i.e. which of the two application's is registered as the default file manager.
This registration can of course be changed or Konqueror can be used by choice
if it fits a user's workflow or mental patterns better.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring