Munch munch munch

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Apr 1 12:09:07 BST 2012

Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 01 Apr 2012 09:00:37 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi there!
>
> What I just did:
>
> - Rename IMAP folder 'Archives/2010' to 'Archives/Gentoo-User-2010',
> using
>   Claws Mail
> - Wait until KMail shows this folder with its new name. Got some Akonadi
>   errors meanwhile, but I'm getting used to it
> - Move this folder to 'Local Folders/Backup/'
>
> After a while, I got LOTS!! of notifications:
> - Local Folders: Error: Not supported type (this one for dozends of
>   times). BTW: Is there a log of all those notifications? I could access
>   the last ones via the thingy in the panel, but after a while they were
>   all gone.

There should be, yes.  It'll be in your akonadi dir, which should be
located under one of either XDG_DATA_HOME or XDG_CONFIG_HOME, IDR which.
There should be two logs, one for the current akonadi session, one for
the previous, if there were errors (not if there were none).  IIRC one of
the akonadi-test/config tools has a test that will give you the status of
these logs, etc.

At least that's how it was as of kdepim 4.7.0 or so...

> - Virtyou: Connection aborted - Virtyou: There is no connection to the
> IMAP server - Local Folders: Item query returned empty result
>
> Kmail crashed then. After restart, the Archives/Gentoo-User-2010 folder
> is gone. But 'Local Folders/Backup' is still empty. So, it seems that
> KMail just ate a whole folder containing 12,000 mails. It's no big
> trouble, I don't need those old mails, and I would have a backup. But I
> don't think I will ever do such a thing again in KMail, at least not
> without prior duplicating of the folder. This is so creepy. I read about
> KMail destroying mails, but that was during the migration from KMail1 to
> KMail2, not a simple task like moving mails around.

I'm guessing that if you check the actual filesystem, you'll find most of
the messages safely stored in maildir.  The akonadi database doesn't
actually store the messages, only indexes them.  It's that index that's
probably corrupt, and if you find the the actual dir location, you may be
able to (delete if necessary and...) recreate a new akonadi resource out
of it, thus allowing a reindex.

However, it was exactly that sort of games with my mail that I had had
enough of when I switched to claws-mail.  Claws may have single-threading
and responsiveness issues, but it has yet to barf all over my mail and
try to lose bits of it, forcing me to play hide and seek with mail that
DID "just work" with kmail, until they akonadified it, as akonadi was
doing.