KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 11 22:24:24 BST 2011

Tim Edwards posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:24:26 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have no doubt that there's a fault in the Pyweather plasmoid somewhere
> that causes it to hang when the internet connection is flakey. I've
> tried another weather plasmoid (CWP) on the same machine and that
> doesn't seem to cause this problem.

Agreed.

> My comment was more that this shouldn't freeze the KDE desktop. Once the
> machine is in this state the only way out is ctrl+alt+f1, login at the
> console, telinit 3, telinit 5.

FWIW, as mentioned, krunner should still be usable.  Additionally, if you
setup a little script like the following:

---------------------
#!/bin/bash
# try terminating it first
killall plasma-desktop
sleep 2

# if it didn't die, force-kill
killall -9 plasma-desktop
sleep 2

plasma-desktop

... then you can configure a custom hotkey (KDE settings, Common...,
Shortcuts..., Custom...) to invoke that script.

khotkeys is a different kde component so should keep running, allowing
you to invoke your "plasma-reset.sh" script via hotkey, when necessary.
I've actually setup a couple things like that here (one for kwin, which
only occasionally, but often enough to setup the hotkey for it, crashes,
one for plasma, plus I have konsole on a hotkey too, so I can launch it
without plasma running, and from it do whatever, if I need to).