KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Mon Sep 12 00:46:32 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer writes:

> On Sunday, 2011-09-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Kevin Krammer writes:

> > > Retrieving data could still be done asynchronously, KDE's networking
> > > can do that even in a single threaded application.
> >
> > Sure, I didn't want to imply that was a problem.
>
> I didn't think you were, just explaining that there should be no
> blocking due to downloading data unless something is wrong.

Okay :)

> > > Looks like the respective applet or whatever it is using for
> > > downloading data is broken.
> >
> > And it's bad that this is able to make plasma hang.
>
> Unless proven otherwise I will assume that it is not.

Huh? I'm somewhat confused now. Something in the plasmoid obviously was
broken, and made Tim's plasma hang.
And this is a problem that happens regularly when trying custom
plasmoids.

> As in I really don't see how non-blocking downloading could block an
> application unless the application specifically blocks itself, which I
> would consider a bug.

I don't say the non-blocking download is blocking. It's something in the
plasmoid, whatever it may be. And as the result, all of plasma hangs.
Which is bad.

> > In the days of
> > cooperative multitasking, every application could make your system
> > hang - these days are over.
>
> I've never had one application hang the system. Doesn't happen in this
> context either, the OP reports everything other than the hanging
> application working fine.

Yes, but I was talking about cooperative multitasking. Long ago, like in
Windows 3.x, where a single application could make the whole system hang.

> > But for plasma, it's still like this.
>
> Highly unlikely. Since it did not happen for the OP, can you point to a
> report were hanging Plasma resulted in no other processes working
> either?

No, I was just saying that the individual plasmoids seem to use
cooperative multitasking. A badly designed, hanging plasmoid makes whole
plasma hang. Other processes are not affected, of course. So you can
continue to work, but as Tim wrote, many people will just think the
system is hanging, and reboot.

	Wonko