KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Martin Bednár serafean at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:57:16 BST 2011

Le Sunday 11 of September 2011 22:24:26 Tim Edwards a écrit :
> On Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:33 PM, "Kevin Krammer"
>
> <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Sunday, 2011-09-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > Kevin Krammer writes:
> > >
> > > Sure, I didn't want to imply that was a problem.
> >
> > I didn't think you were, just explaining that there should be no
> > blocking
> > due
> > to downloading data unless something is wrong.

> > > And it's bad that this is able to make plasma hang.
> >
> > Unless proven otherwise I will assume that it is not.
> > As in I really don't see how non-blocking downloading could block an
> > application unless the application specifically blocks itself, which I
> > would
> > consider a bug.
> >
> > > In the days of
> > > cooperative multitasking, every application could make your system
> > > hang - these days are over.
> >
> > I've never had one application hang the system. Doesn't happen in this
> > context
> > either, the OP reports everything other than the hanging application
> > working
> > fine.
> >
> > > But for plasma, it's still like this.
> >
> > Highly unlikely. Since it did not happen for the OP, can you point to a
> > report
> > were hanging Plasma resulted in no other processes working either?
>
> I have no doubt that there's a fault in the Pyweather plasmoid somewhere
> that causes it to hang when the internet connection is flakey. I've
> tried another weather plasmoid (CWP) on the same machine and that
> doesn't seem to cause this problem.

Badly written software... put blame where it belongs :) This is the type of
software I call "nightmare", because it was written, and tested by one person.
The WorksForMe (tm) QA process is very flawed (I know, I do it quite often ;)
). Try reporting a bug to the author.
I however do understand and share your surprise at the fact that one plasmoid
can hang the desktop. Normal people blame the big desktop, not the little
widget.

> My comment was more that this shouldn't freeze the KDE desktop. Once the
> machine is in this state the only way out is ctrl+alt+f1, login at the
> console, telinit 3, telinit 5. Most users won't know how to do that
> though and will simply reboot because the computer has 'frozen'.

Not true : if plasma freezes, press ctrl+alt+escape and click anywhere on your
frozen plasma. then press alt+F2 (krunner) and type "plasma-desktop", press
enter and watch plasma restart.

> It's not a true system hang, but it makes the desktop practically
> unusable and for most people will require a reboot so it may has well be
> a hang.

I agree with this

> My suggestion would be something similar to the hung application
> detection already built into KDE - when a plasmoid appears to have hung
> it should pop-up a dialog saying 'Plasmoid X is not responding and may
> cause the system to become unstable, would you like to force close it?'.

Actually, if I understand thing correctly, it would be a lot more complex :
the hung application detection is done in kwin : if an app takes too long to
quit from a press on the window decoration close button, kwin steps in asking
"do you want to terminate this process". The key here is that the information
is that you want to close a "window", the fact that its a mainwindow to an app
is secondary.