KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Tim Edwards tkedwards at fastmail.com.au
Sun Sep 11 21:24:26 BST 2011

On Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:33 PM, "Kevin Krammer"
<kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Sunday, 2011-09-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Kevin Krammer writes:
> >
> > Sure, I didn't want to imply that was a problem.
>
> I didn't think you were, just explaining that there should be no blocking
> due
> to downloading data unless something is wrong.
>
> > > Looks like the respective applet or whatever it is using for
> > > downloading data is broken.
> >
> > And it's bad that this is able to make plasma hang.
>
> Unless proven otherwise I will assume that it is not.
> As in I really don't see how non-blocking downloading could block an
> application unless the application specifically blocks itself, which I
> would
> consider a bug.
>
> > In the days of
> > cooperative multitasking, every application could make your system hang -
> > these days are over.
>
> I've never had one application hang the system. Doesn't happen in this
> context
> either, the OP reports everything other than the hanging application
> working
> fine.
>
> > But for plasma, it's still like this.
>
> Highly unlikely. Since it did not happen for the OP, can you point to a
> report
> were hanging Plasma resulted in no other processes working either?

I have no doubt that there's a fault in the Pyweather plasmoid somewhere
that causes it to hang when the internet connection is flakey. I've
tried another weather plasmoid (CWP) on the same machine and that
doesn't seem to cause this problem.

My comment was more that this shouldn't freeze the KDE desktop. Once the
machine is in this state the only way out is ctrl+alt+f1, login at the
console, telinit 3, telinit 5. Most users won't know how to do that
though and will simply reboot because the computer has 'frozen'.

It's not a true system hang, but it makes the desktop practically
unusable and for most people will require a reboot so it may has well be
a hang.

My suggestion would be something similar to the hung application
detection already built into KDE - when a plasmoid appears to have hung
it should pop-up a dialog saying 'Plasmoid X is not responding and may
cause the system to become unstable, would you like to force close it?'.

Tim