KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Sep 11 16:33:58 BST 2011

On Sunday, 2011-09-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Kevin Krammer writes:
> > >
> > > Yes, that's the problem with plasma-desktoĆ¼p, it's single threaded,
> > > and if one plasmoid hangs, whole plasma hangs. I often had such
> > > trouble when using plasmoids I downloaded fron the net.
> > >
> > > I also believe it's a huge design fault, but there _are_ indeed
> > > reasons for doing this, having to do with speed mainly I think. I
> > > don't find the link right now where this was explained, but if you
> > > are interested, I could search and find it.
>
> Here it is:
> http://www.freehackers.org/thomas/2009/11/10/wonders-from-a-kde-fan-and-dev
> eloper-about-some-kde-design-choices/comment-page-1/#comment-7507
>
> > Retrieving data could still be done asynchronously, KDE's networking
> > can do that even in a single threaded application.
>
> Sure, I didn't want to imply that was a problem.

I didn't think you were, just explaining that there should be no blocking due
to downloading data unless something is wrong.

> > Looks like the respective applet or whatever it is using for
> > downloading data is broken.
>
> And it's bad that this is able to make plasma hang.

Unless proven otherwise I will assume that it is not.
As in I really don't see how non-blocking downloading could block an
application unless the application specifically blocks itself, which I would
consider a bug.

> In the days of
> cooperative multitasking, every application could make your system hang -
> these days are over.

I've never had one application hang the system. Doesn't happen in this context
either, the OP reports everything other than the hanging application working
fine.

> But for plasma, it's still like this.

Highly unlikely. Since it did not happen for the OP, can you point to a report
were hanging Plasma resulted in no other processes working either?

> And it's
> happened really often to me.

Sounds like a serious kernel issue of your operating system to me. Modern
operating system have pretty good isolation between processes.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring