KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sun Sep 11 15:55:38 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer writes:

> On Sunday, 2011-09-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Tim Edwards writes:

> > > My theory is it looks like the Pyweather widget is hanging trying
> > > to get data sometimes, and this in turn hangs plasma-desktop.
> > > Which, if true, is IMHO a huge design fault in plasma-desktop.
> > > Anyway I'll see if this theory holds out, Pyweather's been removed
> > > and so far no freezes.
> >
> > Yes, that's the problem with plasma-desktoĆ¼p, it's single threaded,
> > and if one plasmoid hangs, whole plasma hangs. I often had such
> > trouble when using plasmoids I downloaded fron the net.
> >
> > I also believe it's a huge design fault, but there _are_ indeed
> > reasons for doing this, having to do with speed mainly I think. I
> > don't find the link right now where this was explained, but if you
> > are interested, I could search and find it.

Here it is:
http://www.freehackers.org/thomas/2009/11/10/wonders-from-a-kde-fan-and-developer-about-some-kde-design-choices/comment-page-1/#comment-7507

> Retrieving data could still be done asynchronously, KDE's networking
> can do that even in a single threaded application.

Sure, I didn't want to imply that was a problem.

> Looks like the respective applet or whatever it is using for
> downloading data is broken.

And it's bad that this is able to make plasma hang. In the days of
cooperative multitasking, every application could make your system hang -
these days are over. But for plasma, it's still like this. And it's
happened really often to me. Installing custom plasmoids often is no fun.
So I stopped doing this, and things are better now :)

	Wonko