Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 29 19:47:49 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 02:43:56 PM J did opine:

> gene heskett
>
> > On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 01:38:04 PM Duncan did opine:
> >> Maybe someday an independent kde dev will come along and start a
> >> "just does X" client for each of those three Xs.  Maybe not.  If I'm
> >> lucky, tho, they'll be started right away, and be reasonably mature
> >> and ready for use when claws jumps the shark like kmail did, tho
> >> hopefully that won't be for a decade or longer, if ever.
> >
> > Interesting that you say claws, but this post came from the pan
> > newsreader according to its headers.  It pointed out also that I need
> > to apparently increase the number of copies of spamd I have running
> > as it failed on the first call getting an X-Nasty-aren't-we inserted
> > by procmail.  Local stuffs.
> >
> > What I would like to do is start a conversation with someone who has
> > bailed
> > on kmail & went to claws, and see just how hard it would be to convert
> > my box to that, including the importation of the whole, several
> > Gigabyte, some
> > of it now approaching 10 years old, kmail email corpus into claws.
> > All the
> > while continuing with my present fetchmail based system to deliver the
> > filtered email into /var/spool/mail/gene.
>
> I just did that.  I tried to upgrade to kmail2 and it spectacularly
> failed.  I switched to claws, based on Duncan's recommendation.  I'm
> surprised I haven't been using it for some time.
>
> > Like others, the ^#$%& churn in kmail's "accessory" tie-ins, without
> > ever fixing its most glaring fault, the lack of multi-threading
> > vis-a-vis mail fetching, is beginning to get under my skin.
>
> Claws doesn't multi-thread well either.
>
> > This of course is off topic from the OP's subject line, sorry.  Humm,
> > no I'm not, come to think of it, kde needs to better understand the
> > users viewpoint on stuff like this, and this is after all the kde
> > (the whole maryann) mailing list.
> >
> > I have a lot of claws installed already, so the first thing is to
> > import the kmail email corpus into claws.  And on that point, I have
> > no clue, but would assume the right search terms might find a tut on
> > the web.  My feeble  efforts haven't found it yet though.
>
> I cheated.  I set up an imap server on localhost, pointed it to my kMail
> Maildir and then just did a drag and drop into the Claws MH mailstore.
> Then I uninstalled the imap server.

Claws apparently does only mailfile operations, whereas I have 3/4ths of
the kmail "cur" subdirs as maildirs.

I was thinking that I could maybe do a "cpa cur/* /var/mail/gene" and then
have claws read it just as if it was incoming mail.

Would that, or a similar idea work?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Television is now so desperately hungry for material that it is scraping
the top of the barrel.
		-- Gore Vidal