Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.

J janus at magicstar.net
Tue Nov 29 19:18:12 GMT 2011

gene heskett
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 01:38:04 PM Duncan did opine:
>

>> Maybe someday an independent kde dev will come along and start a "just
>> does X" client for each of those three Xs.  Maybe not.  If I'm lucky,
>> tho, they'll be started right away, and be reasonably mature and ready
>> for use when claws jumps the shark like kmail did, tho hopefully that
>> won't be for a decade or longer, if ever.
>
> Interesting that you say claws, but this post came from the pan newsreader
> according to its headers.  It pointed out also that I need to apparently
> increase the number of copies of spamd I have running as it failed on the
> first call getting an X-Nasty-aren't-we inserted by procmail.  Local
> stuffs.
>
> What I would like to do is start a conversation with someone who has
> bailed
> on kmail & went to claws, and see just how hard it would be to convert my
> box to that, including the importation of the whole, several Gigabyte,
> some
> of it now approaching 10 years old, kmail email corpus into claws.  All
> the
> while continuing with my present fetchmail based system to deliver the
> filtered email into /var/spool/mail/gene.

I just did that.  I tried to upgrade to kmail2 and it spectacularly
failed.  I switched to claws, based on Duncan's recommendation.  I'm
surprised I haven't been using it for some time.

> Like others, the ^#$%& churn in kmail's "accessory" tie-ins, without ever
> fixing its most glaring fault, the lack of multi-threading vis-a-vis mail
> fetching, is beginning to get under my skin.

Claws doesn't multi-thread well either.

> This of course is off topic from the OP's subject line, sorry.  Humm, no
> I'm not, come to think of it, kde needs to better understand the users
> viewpoint on stuff like this, and this is after all the kde (the whole
> maryann) mailing list.
>
> I have a lot of claws installed already, so the first thing is to import
> the kmail email corpus into claws.  And on that point, I have no clue, but
> would assume the right search terms might find a tut on the web.  My
> feeble  efforts haven't found it yet though.

I cheated.  I set up an imap server on localhost, pointed it to my kMail
Maildir and then just did a drag and drop into the Claws MH mailstore.
Then I uninstalled the imap server.

--
Janus