Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 29 18:58:11 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 01:38:04 PM Duncan did opine:

> Martin (KDE) posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:44:18 +0100 as excerpted:
> > I had similar problems about ten years ago and my solution to this was
> > setting up an imap mail server. With this I do all my filtering on the
> > server and I am free to use any client I want
> > - kmail and thunderbird on linux
> > - thunderbird on windows
> > - k9mail on android
> > - native mail program on ipod-touch
> > - any other imap aware client you can think of
>
> Well, the OP in this thread is using IMAP and the new kmail is still
> causing him problems...
>
> > All these clients gets the same filtered mails. Isn't this an option
> > for you?
>
> Yes and no.  My mail providers don't offer it, and I could run my own,
> but there's little point, as I don't have but the one place I do mail
> anyway, and even if I did run my own IMAP server, I'd still have to find
> a mail client I was comfortable with to access that IMAP server from the
> one location, so why even bother, when a good mail client bypasses the
> need for me to run such a server entirely?
>
> OK, so after nearly a decade of kmail working just fine as that mail
> client, until the devs decided they couldn't leave well enough alone, I
> found I needed another solution.  But again, if I'm ultimately going to
> need a client I'm comfortable with anyway, why complicate things by
> throwing in an IMAP server when the client I'm going to need to be
> comfortable with anyway can deal directly with my providers' POP3
> servers?
>
> Actually, throwing in extra functionality I don't need and that only
> complicates things sounds like a rather familiar idea!  I wonder where I
> might have heard that before?  Oh, yeah, that's why I was in the
> situation in the first place, because the devs couldn't leave an
> unbroken kmail unbroken!
>
> Oh, well, I guess I should count myself lucky that I got that nine years
> out of it.  Not so much software works that well for that long, and if
> claws-mail serves me another nine years, I guess I'll be as happy with
> the lengthy usefulness of my choice as I am currently with its
> functional practicality. =:^)
>
> > Btw: I once tried claws-mail as well, but this program did not fit my
> > needs. I currently use SOGo as groupware server besides my cyrus imap
> > server and afaik only thunderbird and kmail2 are able to handle
> > CalDAV/CardDAV correctly (on Linux). I no longer want to handle
> > addresses and appointments in different programs separately.
>
> My situation is /vastly/ different from yours.  Mobile phone and/or
> internet simply hasn't yet fit my cost/benefit profile, and the
> proprietary equipment choices don't help.  Android's close enough to be
> acceptable if the price was right, but as I said, I've not yet seen it
> right, and unfortunately, the mobile-providers are moving away from
> unlimited Internet again now, so the situation isn't likely to get
> better out to at least the medium term.

> [...]

Interesting that you say claws, but this post came from the pan newsreader
according to its headers.  It pointed out also that I need to apparently
increase the number of copies of spamd I have running as it failed on the
first call getting an X-Nasty-aren't-we inserted by procmail.  Local
stuffs.

What I would like to do is start a conversation with someone who has bailed
on kmail & went to claws, and see just how hard it would be to convert my
box to that, including the importation of the whole, several Gigabyte, some
of it now approaching 10 years old, kmail email corpus into claws.  All the
while continuing with my present fetchmail based system to deliver the
filtered email into /var/spool/mail/gene.

Like others, the ^#$%& churn in kmail's "accessory" tie-ins, without ever
fixing its most glaring fault, the lack of multi-threading vis-a-vis mail
fetching, is beginning to get under my skin.

This of course is off topic from the OP's subject line, sorry.  Humm, no
I'm not, come to think of it, kde needs to better understand the users
viewpoint on stuff like this, and this is after all the kde (the whole
maryann) mailing list.

I have a lot of claws installed already, so the first thing is to import
the kmail email corpus into claws.  And on that point, I have no clue, but
would assume the right search terms might find a tut on the web.  My feeble
efforts haven't found it yet though.

Clues, URL's please, and thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
To spot the expert, pick the one who predicts the job will take the longest
and cost the most.