Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 12:34:23 GMT 2011

Martin (KDE) posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:44:18 +0100 as excerpted:

> I had similar problems about ten years ago and my solution to this was
> setting up an imap mail server. With this I do all my filtering on the
> server and I am free to use any client I want
> - kmail and thunderbird on linux
> - thunderbird on windows
> - k9mail on android
> - native mail program on ipod-touch
> - any other imap aware client you can think of

Well, the OP in this thread is using IMAP and the new kmail is still
causing him problems...

> All these clients gets the same filtered mails. Isn't this an option for
> you?

Yes and no.  My mail providers don't offer it, and I could run my own,
but there's little point, as I don't have but the one place I do mail
anyway, and even if I did run my own IMAP server, I'd still have to find
a mail client I was comfortable with to access that IMAP server from the
one location, so why even bother, when a good mail client bypasses the
need for me to run such a server entirely?

OK, so after nearly a decade of kmail working just fine as that mail
client, until the devs decided they couldn't leave well enough alone, I
found I needed another solution.  But again, if I'm ultimately going to
need a client I'm comfortable with anyway, why complicate things by
throwing in an IMAP server when the client I'm going to need to be
comfortable with anyway can deal directly with my providers' POP3 servers?

Actually, throwing in extra functionality I don't need and that only
complicates things sounds like a rather familiar idea!  I wonder where I
might have heard that before?  Oh, yeah, that's why I was in the
situation in the first place, because the devs couldn't leave an unbroken
kmail unbroken!

Oh, well, I guess I should count myself lucky that I got that nine years
out of it.  Not so much software works that well for that long, and if
claws-mail serves me another nine years, I guess I'll be as happy with
the lengthy usefulness of my choice as I am currently with its functional
practicality. =:^)

> Btw: I once tried claws-mail as well, but this program did not fit my
> needs. I currently use SOGo as groupware server besides my cyrus imap
> server and afaik only thunderbird and kmail2 are able to handle
> CalDAV/CardDAV correctly (on Linux). I no longer want to handle
> addresses and appointments in different programs separately.

My situation is /vastly/ different from yours.  Mobile phone and/or
internet simply hasn't yet fit my cost/benefit profile, and the
proprietary equipment choices don't help.  Android's close enough to be
acceptable if the price was right, but as I said, I've not yet seen it
right, and unfortunately, the mobile-providers are moving away from
unlimited Internet again now, so the situation isn't likely to get better
out to at least the medium term.

And while I do have a netbook (gentoo/kde, built in a 32-bit chroot on my
workstation and ssh-rsynced), I really don't use the "net" bit of it.
Very close to 100% of my internet activities are on my workstation, dual
1080p monitors, etc, so I really DO have little use for IMAP.  Sure, I
could run an IMAP server on localhost, but as I said, it's all single-
point local anyway, so it might as well all be in the client, which I'm
going to have to be comfortable with in any case.

And I don't need an organizer/scheduler/calendar/groupware/nntp-client/
feed-reader/mail-client/im/irc-client/singing-baboons/dancing-monkeys-all-
in-one!  In fact, I don't need an organizer/scheduler at all, and I'm
more comfortable with async-style email, mailinglists and newsgroups than
sync-style im/irc, so I don't need those, either.  I do use email,
mailinglists, newsgroups and feeds, but I prefer separate clients or at
least separate instances of the same client, for each of mail, lists,
groups and feeds.  As it happens, I now have separate instances of claws
for mail and feeds, and separate instances of pan for news and lists, so
I'm pretty well set.

Some folks /want/ it all combined, as in konact, and that's fine... for
them.  But it's not for me!

It's just too bad that kde now lacks a reasonable mail-only client (and
news-only client and feeds-only client, all three, but SEPARATE), even if
independently developed, without the heavyweight cost in terms of
resources, reliability and single-failure-point of akonadi.  I do
understand the idea of shared functionality and reduced code duplication,
and for folks who want it all combined in one interface and can tolerate
the single-point-of-failure and reliability issues, whether that's
because they use server-based technologies or whatever, akonadi and
kontact may be WONDERFUL.  But here, I just want my simple to use and
reliable separate apps back!

Maybe someday an independent kde dev will come along and start a "just
does X" client for each of those three Xs.  Maybe not.  If I'm lucky,
tho, they'll be started right away, and be reasonably mature and ready
for use when claws jumps the shark like kmail did, tho hopefully that
won't be for a decade or longer, if ever.