Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.
kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Nov 29 06:44:18 GMT 2011
Am 29.11.2011 01:53, schrieb Duncan:
> Chuck Burns posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:38:56 -0600 as excerpted:
>> I compiled the kdepim4.7.3 version under FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE, and while
>> everything -seemed- to work just fine, I am finding that is not quite
>> the case.
> FWIW, YMMV, etc, but IMO, akonadified kmail isn't ready for widespread
> use yet. After nearly a decade (since early 2002, kde2 era) on kmail, I
> ended up switching to claws-mail here, and banishing kmail and anything
> else kdepim or akonadi related from my computer!
I read now several times that you had problems with kmail2 and your
mails and filters. I had similar problems about ten years ago and my
solution to this was setting up an imap mail server. With this I do all
my filtering on the server and I am free to use any client I want
- kmail and thunderbird on linux
- thunderbird on windows
- k9mail on android
- native mail program on ipod-touch
- any other imap aware client you can think of
All these clients gets the same filtered mails. Isn't this an option for
Btw: I once tried claws-mail as well, but this program did not fit my
needs. I currently use SOGo as groupware server besides my cyrus imap
server and afaik only thunderbird and kmail2 are able to handle
CalDAV/CardDAV correctly (on Linux). I no longer want to handle
addresses and appointments in different programs separately.
> It's a move I really should have taken earlier, with all the bugs when
> the addressbook switched to akonadi in 4.4. But I really wanted it to
> work, and held on until the kmail2 introduction with kdepim 4.6.0 and
> 4.6.1. But between kmail and the OE imports I'd done when I switched to
> Linux, I had mail going back to 1997 or so, and I was simply tired of
> akonadi-related mail problems, so I dumped it and switched to claws-mail,
> and have been MUCH happier since! =:^)
> Converting that mail archive and address book to claws-mail wasn't fun or
> bug-free; I had to adjust the scripts I found to do it a bit. And I had
> to rewrite my kmail filters (~50 of them!) for claws-mail manually. But
> the process wasn't much worse or any buggier than the kmail upgrade
> process itself (tho the kmail upgrade didn't bother the filters, so the
> manual conversion for claws-mail there was additional), and when I'd
> finished the claws-mail conversion, UNLIKE the kmail upgrade, I once
> again had mail that ACTUALLY WORKED!
> ACTUALLY WORKING counts for a lot! =:^) Maybe the new kmail will have
> the bugs worked out by 4.8 or more likely 4.10, but I won't be having to
> find out /how/ long it takes, as I'm off it now.
> As an extra bonus, I'm not afraid to run the kde betas now, and just
> finished upgrading to 4.7.80, aka 4.8-beta1, tho I still have a couple
> non-critical package build-failures to look at and I've not restarted KDE
> so don't know what it'll be like, yet. But I'd have never dared to try
> the betas when I had kmail with over a decade's worth of mail data at
> risk, and now I'm even trying the first beta! =:^)
> But I guess kmail2 is working for many. Good for them! That's the YMMV
> part I mentioned...
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
More information about the kde