How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop? [OT]

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 19:05:50 BST 2011

----- Original Message ----

I didn't match the dpi of the monitor to X settings. I generated xorg.conf file
mode lines for my monitor using cvt in the console. Initially I used display
size for X scaling but later changed to dpi as this looked to give more options
for messing about later. 100dpi came about as it seemed to be one of 2 values X
prefers. My monitor is more like 90. Many monitors use edid so don't need an
xorg.conf file but people sometimes over ride edid anyway.

As things stand it works out well. Pages scale sensibly even the one on Felix's
hall of shame showing a book type tablet - Barnes and Noble. The text on the
touch reader is easily readable if slightly fuzzy due the quality of the image I
suspect. The text on this mail is more or less the same as that generated by
kde. Must admit I miss wysiwig in respect to word processors but it does allow
more on the screen. The text is probably about 2/3rds or more of the size
normally used on a letter etc when printed. I wear 1.25 dioptre reading glasses
at the pc. The optician would up that but it's best to fight ageing eyes as
given the excuse they get worse rapidly. At the moment my monitor is viewed from
about 18ins.

John