How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop? [OT]

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue May 31 14:21:33 BST 2011

On 2011/05/31 03:49 (GMT-0700) John Woodhouse composed:

> I run a 22ins monitor at  1680x1050 that's been with me for many years. About 9
> I think. Now hd tv's are available I am wondering about moving in that direction
> but there really isn't much of a gain in resolution so it's a question of just
> how big one can go before the dot size/spacing becomes a problem. I run the
> monitor at 100dpi which produces nice tight clear text. that is a little small
> for ageing eyes without some aid. At some point I intend to play with this and x
> scaling to see just how large I can go before things get objectionable.

It's not necessary for your DTE's DPI to match your display's DPI. Forcing
DPI is a practical way to scale the whole desktop to meet personal needs.
Usually setting DisplaySize in xorg.conf will get the job done at the outset,
though proprietary NVidia users can set DPI directly. Xrandr can do it, but
using it is actually less straightforward, particularly figuring out your
distro's preferred place to put startup xrandr commands.

DPI multiples of 12 can produce more pleasing results than exact display
device matches or arbitrary values. http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/DisplaySize
provides settings for reaching 12 multiples. I usually force 120 or 144 and
view from a greater than average distance.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/