Kaffeine and playing files from off the local network

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 00:05:14 BST 2011

I think you have missed some of the earlier posts. Yes the slowness is down to
searches for the server - the dolphin technique avoids them. That's the only
point I am making and advocating that kde open up the path for other than kde
apps to use. Having messed with desktop file excessively it looks like "you can
only select local file" is hard wired into the kde software.

I have completely disabled IPV6 where I can for the simple reason that the dns
service is so slow via tunneling that it makes a system virtually unusable on
the web. Unfortunately one app on opensuse may still be using it. Haven't
checked fully yet.

I don't think what I have seen in vista has anything to do with teredo. It looks
to be preparing to use either ipv6 or ipv4 as needed. It also grades the
performance. ;-) My ipv6 is marginal - they are correct in that respect. If the
app waits long enough it works. Curiously it was somewhat quicker some years ago
when it was implemented in the kerenel. eg It would load an ebay page but might
take over a min to do it. Basically vista looks to be way ahead of where current
linux disto's are. The kernel will do either and that's as far as it goes.

No comment on fwvm. I use kde. and also this is a kde mailing list. I shouldn't
use it to bleat about anything other than kde.

Anyway no more posts from me on this subject

John