Kaffeine and playing files from off the local network

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 23:42:24 BST 2011

Just to complete the tale in the hope that it will do some good somewhere.

I have managed to get vlc to run with files on the nas via open with and a click
launch. 1st I enabled kde auto mount but this didn't achieve anything and the
problems remained. I then enable NFS on the nas and that has provided a solution
except vlc itself can not open or save a file to the nas. This is clearly down
to KDE, error messages when they are available are "you can only select local
files". This should be prevented by the smb,http etc enable options in the dot
desktop file. These are correct in vlc's case but KDE  will still  not allow
access. I would have thought that it would be better all round to use these to
bar paths rather than enable them if they are really needed.

Kwrite and maybe other strict K applications works perfectly with files on the
nas just from a connection made with dolphin. The connection is also retained
between re boots etc. Trouble is many apps most people use are not strict K
applications. Some however look to use an instance of dolphin for file
management - that's seems likely to be the problem as it routes file accesses
straight through kde.

On the way to the auto mount + nfs part solution I tried dragging an nas avi
onto a VLC window. Nothing happens. To get round that I created a desktop VLC
icon. When I dragged the avi onto that it played but the plasma shell came up
with an error message "sorry can't find file". It played anyway. If I drag a
local file onto a VLC window it plays which indicates that launching like that
is not a problem with qt4 applications.

There are some indications that the part working arrangement with auto mount +
nas is still using cif for file loads. A side issue with NFS is that the auto
load extends the time that the desktop is dead following a log in rather
alarmingly. This and super slow samba seem to be down to not being able to enter
an ip address for the server. This can be done when dolphin is used to connect
to a microsoft network drive so it's a lot quicker. Trouble it that auto mount
takes no notice of the fact that this connection has been made.

It seems from nosing around that problems in this area are occurring with
servers other than a nas as well.

I have filed a bug via novell on this. I feel that kde has little credibility
for anything other than toy use while this aspect is like this. Seems that gnome
may not have the same problem.

Haven't looked closely but ark seems a trifle confused.

On a bright note multimedia if it can be loaded is streamed. Some reports
indicate full downloads before playing.

John