KDM not starting after upgrade

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat May 21 20:59:49 BST 2011

Bogus Zaba posted on Sat, 21 May 2011 19:35:51 +0100 as excerpted:

> At that point I realised that in running nvidia driver version 270..., I
> had leap-frogged Slackware's (unofficially) packaged nvidia driver which
> was 260.... I uninstalled the 270 version, installed the Slackware
> package and found that everything worked just fine from the outset,
> apart from the need to put back some desktop backgrounds and a
> quicklaunch widget.
>
> The moral is : don't try and be smarter than the guys building your
> distro.

Yeah.  There's often a reason they don't support people running versions
of stuff they've installed independently -- the stuff shipped with the
distro was specifically built and tested with the rest of the stuff
shipped with the distro in mind.  It's not that other versions won't or
can't be made to work, often they can, it's simply that the combo is now
not what they tested, and all bets are off in terms of compatibility, etc.

Thanks.