KDE fails to start after upgrade

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Thu May 19 00:28:40 BST 2011

I have upgraded my Slackware Installation from 13.1 to 13.37. This means
that my KDE has gone from 4.4.3 to 4.5.5. The same process worked fine
on two other PCs, but on this (my main Desktop machine) I cannot get KDE
up and running for a regular user. KDE starts OK for root, but for
myself and for a newly created user, I see the splash screen and then
four of the five splash icons come into focus. The last one never gets
there and disk activity eventually ceases (I have left it for more than
30 mins).

I have tried renaming the .kde folder and the .kderc file, but this has
not helped.

I can only stop the failed KDE session with ctrl-alt-BS which returns me
to the terminal from which I tried to launch KDE with the startx command.

On that terminal I see various error messages from akonadi. If this is
the cause of the trouble, what is the solution ? I notice that when KDE
does launch successfully (for root) there is a progress bar displayed
also connected with the akonadi server starting up - presumably
successfully in that case.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks