No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu May 12 02:45:26 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Wed, 11 May 2011 23:58:26 +0300 as excerpted:

>> If instead you're wanting different settings for the same device,
>> perhaps for different users, that's a bit different.  xmodmap can be
>> used there, at runtime, either set to run when a user logs in, or setup
>> using several scripts that can be invoked as needed to switch settings.
>>  However, I should mention that I've never actually used xmodmap
>>  myself,
>> only read about it.  There's a manpage for it, tho...
>>

> Yes, and the examples are pretty good. I was able to get the Caps_Lock
> key to function as a perfect B, and B to function as a broken Caps_Lock,
> by swapping the scancodes for the two keys and adding some statements at
> the end:
>
> ..snip..
> keycode  56 = b B b B // was 66
> ..snip..
> keycode  66 = Caps_Lock NoSymbol Caps_Lock // was 56
> ..snip..
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> keysym b = Caps_Lock
> keysym B = Caps_Lock
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
>
> However, although the B key now engages Caps_Lock, pressing the key
> again does not disengage it! Nor does pressing the Caps_Lock key (which
> now is B).
>
> How can we overcome this?

It may be that you can use the shift key to unlock capslock, so all you
need to be able to do is lock it.  Again, that's one of the KDE options
under hardware/input/keyboard, and I don't /think/ it should interfere
much with normal usage by anyone else.

There's probably an xmodemap method for making caps-lock work all the way,
but as I said, I've not actually used it, just know of it, so... the
work-around above stikes me as reasonable.

(FWIW, I physically take off the caps-lock key, here.  I /could/ remap it,
but having the slot right beside my left pinky-finger on the home row
gives me a much stronger position-by-touch than I'd otherwise have, and if
I NEED caps-lock for some reason, I can always get a pen or something and
hit the still-working now recessed pad.  But normally I just hold the
shift key AND TOUCH-TYPE MORE OR LESS AS I NORMALLY WOULD (switching pinkys
on the shift key from one to the other if it's necessary to hit a key that
the pinky would normally take).  That, and the fact that I have a
reasonable size Logitech "ergonomic wave" keyboard that's generally
balanced in my lap, is good enough... for the X-hundred-line posts I
sometimes make, compared to back in High School when I took typing and
used to hurt so bad...  I still have trouble on a standard "straight"
keyboard, but not on a properly split and angled "wave", which is all I'll
use on my main machine, tho I use the straight keyboard on my netbook for
short-term-use.)