KDE and XDG menu specs

Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Wed May 11 10:52:49 BST 2011

Hi list,

I'm now studying XDG menu specs and want to create our own menu structure.
I followed XDG menu specs and created one.

Now I met some problems.  I found that in my submenu layout, the menu
attributes like "show_empty", "inline" didn't work.  It looks like all the
attributed were ignored.

I tried this on Kubuntu (with KDE 4.6.2) and Mageia 1 beta 2 (with KDE 4.6.2).

I googled some but wasn't sure if this part is handled by KDE or system.  I
mean, who is in charge of parsing the menu files and showing menu trees?

http://efod.se/blog/archive/2006/01/07/the-xdg-menu-standard-parsers-in-kde-
and-gnome

This link shows that it seems to be KDE/Gnome's responsibility to parse and
show menus.  If so, my question is that, does KDE fully follow the XDG menu
specs?  How could I dig in to find out why the menu attributes are ignored?

Any hint and suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Franklin