No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 10 22:39:28 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 10 May 2011 15:44:55 +0300 as excerpted:

> I have several stumbling blocks, but here is one:
> In a US keyboard variant called "Noah" I need to swap the locations of
> the "B" and Caps_Lock keys. I added this to the end of
> usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us:
> xkb_symbols "noah" {
>   name[Group1]= "USA - Noah Ergonomic";
>   include "pc(noah)"
>     key <CAPS> { [ b,             B           ] };
>     key <AB05> { [ Caps_Lock   ] };
> };
>
> And I added this to the end of /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc:
> partial  modifier_keys xkb_symbols "noah" {
>    modifier_map Lock { <AB05> };
> };
>
> However, now in the regular variant (not Noah) the B key is an
> additional Caps_Lock key! So typing the word "keyboard" returns
> "keybOARD". How can I restrict the redefined Caps_Lock key to only
> modify the Noah variant?

If you're trying to configure different models of physical keyboard,
that's accomplished thru xorg.conf(.d) hotplugging configuration, these
days (since xorg-server-1.8).  You can even plug multiple keyboards in at
once and have them each IDed and assigned the appropriate variants as
necessary. =:^)

See the xorg.conf manpage, InputClass section.  The various settings it
matches against can be found using lsusb (and see its manpage).  That's
assuming USB keyboards, of course, I don't know how one would get info on
ps2 keyboards, but presumably if you're still using one, it stays plugged
into that port, so association with the ps2 port would probably do it by
itself. Not that I know for sure how to match that, but I could probably
figure it out with a bit of experimentation and documentation reading.
(That's one nice thing about buses like USB and PCI/PCIE.  They were
designed for plug-N-play, so there's all sorts of info about each device
and its capacities detectable.  The legacy ps/2 mouse and keyboard ports,
serial and parallel ports, and the REAL legacy AT keyboard port, don't as
commonly have this sort of information available, tho in some cases
characteristics of a device can be matched to known devices in a table
lookup.)

One InputClass section is created per keyboard (or pointing device) that
you need treated separately, with one or more "general" sections applying
to more than one keyboard, possible as well.  In the event more than one
section matches a specific device and the same setting is set in each, the
last one wins, so you can set general stuff in a single section, then set
specific stuff in later sections (in files appearing later in the sequence
if using multiple files in xorg.conf.d).

If instead you're wanting different settings for the same device, perhaps
for different users, that's a bit different.  xmodmap can be used there,
at runtime, either set to run when a user logs in, or setup using several
scripts that can be invoked as needed to switch settings.  However, I
should mention that I've never actually used xmodmap myself, only read
about it.  There's a manpage for it, tho...

There's also an app (referred to in the see also section of the xmodmap
manpage) called setxkbmap, but I don't have it or its manpage installed
and have never used it, so...

However, it appears that multiple physically different devices are what
you're doing, so the xorg.conf(.d) InputClass section stuff should be just
what you're looking for.