No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:44:55 BST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 15:05, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>> If anyone knows how to configure meta keys in xkb I'd love to hear from
>> you on- or off-list (it's not a KDE problem). Thanks!
>
> I could per chance muddle thru it, but since standard US layout works for
> me (but for the "extra" keys on my inet/media keyboard, but they've "just
> worked" as well, since the last fight I had with hal and *.fdi files,
> anyway), I've not needed to get into that all that much.

I have several stumbling blocks, but here is one:
In a US keyboard variant called "Noah" I need to swap the locations of
the "B" and Caps_Lock keys. I added this to the end of
usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us:
xkb_symbols "noah" {
  name[Group1]= "USA - Noah Ergonomic";
  include "pc(noah)"
    key <CAPS> { [ b,             B           ] };
    key <AB05> { [ Caps_Lock   ] };
};

And I added this to the end of /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc:
partial  modifier_keys
xkb_symbols "noah" {
   modifier_map Lock { <AB05> };
};

However, now in the regular variant (not Noah) the B key is an
additional Caps_Lock key! So typing the word "keyboard" returns
"keybOARD". How can I restrict the redefined Caps_Lock key to only
modify the Noah variant?

> Have you tried kcontrol (umm, systemsettings that in general aren't
> systemsettings, but user-specific kde settings), hardware, input devices,
> keyboard, advanced tab?  In addition to the obvious settings under alt/win
> key behavior, check the compose key section and the sections that set the
> keys that change to the various levels, as they can use one or both alt
> keys.

Thanks, but I do need the Noah layout to be either an additional
variant of US or it's own layout as I need the standard US layout (and
two others) to be available for on-the-fly switching.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il