No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 10 13:05:10 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 10 May 2011 14:36:19 +0300 as excerpted:

> Duncan, it turns out to actually be in fact problem with the keyboard
> layout! I wrote my own, but Alt (and some other keys) are broken:
> http://dotancohen.com/eng/noah_ergonomic_keyboard_layout.html

I /thought/ it might be.  Given that the keyboards worked, and the not
uncommon but not /too/ common use of both alt and function keys, that was
the next place to look.  Thus the xev and kde shortcuts detection
diagnostics.

> If anyone knows how to configure meta keys in xkb I'd love to hear from
> you on- or off-list (it's not a KDE problem). Thanks!

I could per chance muddle thru it, but since standard US layout works for
me (but for the "extra" keys on my inet/media keyboard, but they've "just
worked" as well, since the last fight I had with hal and *.fdi files,
anyway), I've not needed to get into that all that much.

However, on the off chance you've missed this since it's an easy fix if it
works...

Have you tried kcontrol (umm, systemsettings that in general aren't
systemsettings, but user-specific kde settings), hardware, input devices,
keyboard, advanced tab?  In addition to the obvious settings under alt/win
key behavior, check the compose key section and the sections that set the
keys that change to the various levels, as they can use one or both alt
keys.

It may be that you can set/unset whatever there as necessary and be done
with it...