No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 12:36:19 BST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 05:42, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 10 May 2011 00:58:57 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> On a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3) I cannot access Krunner
>> or any other Alt-F* shortcuts. What might be the cause of this? The
>> keyboard works fine, tested on another computer, and I tried a second
>> keyboard here as well.
>
> It may be that for some reason it's using a keyboard mapping your not used
> to, and for instance, alt and ctrl are reversed, or one alt key is mapped
> to something other than alt.
>
> Try running xev from a konsole window, then hitting keys to see how they
> are registered.  (Keypresses and mouse movement and keys will be output to
> the konsole window.)
>
> If they're showing up there as expected (see the keysym parenthetical in
> the middle of the third line of each key event, to see what X is
> interpreting it as), the next question is what is kde doing with them?
>
> In kcontrol (systemsettings that aren't systemsettings, they're user-
> specific kde specific settings!), common appearance and behavior, global
> keyboard shortcuts, select run command interface from the dropdown, and
> click on run command, to see its settings.
>
> You can also try changing them.  Hit the button beside the custom radio-
> button and enter the key you want to use.  If you hit a modifier like alt,
> it'll show up with a plus beside it, indicating that you need to hit a non-
> modifier key as well.  In this way you can both test to be sure that kde
> is actually seeing the various keys and see what they show up as, AND
> remap to some other shortcut, if necessary.
>
> You can similarly remap the other alt-F* shortcuts, if necessary.
>
> Hopefully you'll be able to take it from there, or at least report
> results, if not.  The big questions are (1) is X seeing the keys and what
> is it reporting them as, assuming it does see them, and (2) what is kde
> doing with these keys?  These procedures are what I first turn to, to
> diagnose such problems.  Fixing them... well, let's see what the diagnosis
> shows, first.

Duncan, it turns out to actually be in fact problem with the keyboard
layout! I wrote my own, but Alt (and some other keys) are broken:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/noah_ergonomic_keyboard_layout.html

If anyone knows how to configure meta keys in xkb I'd love to hear
from you on- or off-list (it's not a KDE problem). Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com