Making new folder in kmail?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon May 9 03:15:53 BST 2011

gene heskett posted on Sun, 08 May 2011 21:04:07 -0400 as excerpted:

>> 2) The way kmail displays the tree can be a bit confusing.  "Local
>> folders" and "Searches" (along with presumably, "Remote folders" or
>> something similar for IMAP) are displayed as top-level folders, when
>> they're really not folders at all, but categories.  Obviously, you
>> can't create a folder at /that/ level, since by definition, it'll be
>> either a local folder, a remote (IMAP) folder, or a saved search that
>> appears as a folder under searches.
>
> When I click on Local Folders, the 'Folder' menu is all greyed out.  To
> enable the foilder menu, I have to click on something else, like the
> inbox, but for the last 2 days it had been insisting on making the
> heekscad folder in the inbox.  But just to make me a liar, it just
> worked exactly like I wanted it to just this instant.

Hmm... That would be a (minor) UI bug (but see previous about the
likelihood of such being fixed ATM) that I see here too, now that you
point it out.  However, there's a different way, and that's what I
intuitively used, not even thinking about the main folder menu.

If instead of the top menu you use the context-menu, context-clicking on
the parent folder (including Local Folders) you want to create a new
folder in...

The new folder option should be active and allow you to create the folder
as desired. =:^)

As I said, that's what I intuitively used trying to duplicate your issue,
but I didn't see it, since I was using a different menu and didn't get
that minor UI bug.