Kmail notifications

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu May 5 11:45:54 BST 2011

John Woodhouse posted on Thu, 05 May 2011 02:50:54 -0700 as excerpted:

> Looks to me that for sound and multimedia 32bit is still the best bet. I
> would be interested in any comments on that.
>
> John Opensuse 11.4 kde 4.6.0 issue 6

Perhaps on OpenSuSE...  (I'm not knocking it.  I just don't know enough
about it to judge, so given that you run it, your conclusion may be
correct.)

On Gentoo at least, full 64-bit-only (the no-multilib profile) works just
fine.  Since I don't do closed source servantware and all the open source
freedomware packages I run were amd64 ported years ago, I don't have or
need any 32-bit on the main system at all (well, with the exception of
grub, since 64-bit systems still boot in 32-bit mode for legacy support
reasons; I run the pre-compiled grub-static package of that).

(Well, I do also have a 32-bit chroot build and maintenance image for my
32-bit-only netbook, rsyncing it over, so the netbook doesn't have to do
any package tracking or building at all.  But I don't need or use it for
normal use of the 64-bit machine, only for building updates later rsynced
to the netbook.)

But many distributions choose to install at least by default a mixed 32-
bit/64-bit system, with 32-bit often preferred for multimedia due to the
servantware codecs, some of which are 32-bit only, and for certain games
and other often 32-bit-only servantware apps.

Gentoo's one such distribution; I'm just running the no-multilib not the
default multilib profile.  It makes sense for me since I won't install
such servantware on my system in the first place (nor could I legally even
if I wanted to, since EULAs have been deemed by at least some courts in
this country to be valid, and I can no longer agree to conditions that
appear in nearly all of them), to run 64-bit-only, as it's far less
complex, eliminating the whole class of potential issues caused by 32-
bit/64-bit mixups, both in the package manager and in my own head.

You /did/ ask for comments. =;^P