KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Jun 29 19:25:39 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:16:57 +0200 as excerpted:

> Ah, sorry to hear that.
> Most distributions have fortunately not put the new PIM into the normal
> repositories yet but kept it in experiemental ones for early adopters.

FWIW, kdepim 4.6.0 (and thus the new kmail) is in the gentoo main tree
but keyworded ~arch (testing, similar to rawhide or cooker or...), where
I have a feeling it will stay for some time (likely quite beyond the
customary 30 days minimum, if kde continues to make kdepim 4.4 updates
available to work with 4.7, it's very possible gentoo won't stabilize a
newer kdepim until late in the main kde 4.7 cycle or even 4.8), so it's
not like gentoo is rolling it out as stable yet either.

Gentoo also has overlays that carry the pre-release stuff, current as of
a couple days ago the 4.6.80, 4.6.90 pre-4.7 snapshots as well as builds
that follow kde's live-vcs (git/svn), 4.6.49.9999 following 4.6 branch,
4.7.49.9999 following the 4.7 branch, and 9999 following trunk/head.  But
that stuff is not only in the overlay instead of the main tree, but hard-
masked, just in case anyone (like me) follows the overlays for earlier
release builds, before they reach the main tree generally 3 days to a
week later.  So even if they've added the early-kde overlay, People have
to deliberately want that stuff and unmask it in ordered to get it.