KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 30 08:11:02 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-06-29, Duncan wrote:
> John Layt posted on Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:39:40 +0100 as excerpted:
> > On Wednesday 29 Jun 2011 18:40:32 Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >> All this talk about trashed mail and such isn't very encouraging. Is
> >> there somewhere that explains what changes are afoot for this new
> >> release? Right now it sounds like KMail is going to some big binary
> >> blob for all my mails a la Outlook, but that could be my own ignorance
> >> - perhaps someone could correct me on that. I'm looking at upgrading my
> >> Fedora to 15 and wonder if I'm going to get side-swiped with these
> >> hassles and should maybe start looking at another mailer that's free of
> >> all the Social Nonsense baggage KDE seems to be accumulating.
> >
> > No, that's a common misconception.  Akonadi is a just common data access
> > library that also caches data for efficiency, the underlying data
> > storage remains unchaged, i.e. the usual maildir or ical files.
>
> IIRC it was Kevin that set me straight on that, some time ago.
> Unfortunately, the message that the database stuff is only cache hasn't
> really made it out as well as it should have, but it's the only reason
> I'm still on kmail at all.  Otherwise I'd have been gone.

The database use of Akonadi is basically just an implementation detail nobody
other than Akonadi server itself should be concerned about (not even
developers working on other parts like library, clients or agents/resources).

Some people who obviously favor reimplementing stuff themselves all the time
over using exsiting and proven code decided to single this particular detail
out and complain about it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring