KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Wed Jun 29 20:59:30 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer writes:

> On Tuesday, 2011-06-28, Alex Schuster wrote:

> > I did the big KDE 4.6.3 -> 4.6.4 upgrade. Along came the change to
> > KDEPIM 4.6. I feared for the worst, and indeed, it didn't work too
> > well.
>
> Ah, sorry to hear that.
> Most distributions have fortunately not put the new PIM into the normal
> repositories yet but kept it in experiemental ones for early adopters.

I should have written that I am a Gentoo user on ~amd64, which is
something like Debian's testing branch. Although the KDEPIM upgrade was
a fault on my side. I wanted to wait a little for the big KDE upgrade,
but I overlooked kdelibs, and when this had been upgraded, I got the
usual errors about different API when starting konqueror. So I just did
the whole upgrade and just hoped it would work well.
I had upgraded to KDEPIM 4.6 in February already, when it had been
unmasked accidentally for a day or so, and I also had lots of problems.
Fortunately, after the downgrade all was fine again.

> > On the first login after the upgrade, Akonadi stuff was migrated, and
> > some errors happened. The notice boxes closed automatically before I
> > could make screenshots. Something with the migration of
> > 'Standard-Kalender' to native backend failed, and some more stuff I do
> > not  remember.
>
> The mail migration part should have written its output to a file as well,
> check $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail-migrator

Good idea to save this, although a notice box telling me would have been
nice. But there is no such file, locate only finds
.kde4/share/config/kmail-migratorrc.

> > I did not find this akonadi_maildir_resource_3 in the Akonadi Console.
> > So I grepped through .kde4/share/config/* , and found it as
> > DefaultResourceId in the file 'specialmailcollectionsrc' only. I
> > deleted the file, but it is being recreated identically when Akonadi
> > is restarted. I do not know what this is and where is comes from, but
> > I created a dummy Maildir resource (it was called
> > akonadi_maildir_resource_5), and put that into the
> > specialmailcollectionsrc file. Now KMail sort of worked. Well, I got
> > other errors, but at least it no longer crashed during startup.
>
> The special mail collections config basically holds the information which
> mail folders are to be used for default outbox, sent-mail, etc.
> The initial setup is therefore usually done by the mail sending service
> (Akonadi maildispatch agent) since it is the one requiring these folders.
>
> The migrator attempts to switch that to the folders KMail1 used to use, so
> my guess is something went wrong there.
> The mail sending service should actually be able to re-create its default
> choice of folders if it detects problems, no idea why that did not kick in
> or why it did not work.

Okay, so I changed the entry to akonadi_maildir_resource_0. Looks good,
now my Outbox is being used, I just an error befor because it did not exist.

BTW, I have lots of resources named akonadi_ical_resource_0 to
akonadi_ical_resource_20 (only number 19 is missing), all with no file
name selected.

> > Whatever. Easy to fix, but I do not think KMail should crash because
> > of missing folders.
>
> Very true.
> In case this happens again, could you probably save the crash report?

Looks like I forgot to. I was about to report this, but could not log
in, and left the report open until I logged out, without saving it. I
will try and see if it happens again.

There's so many strange things happening. One time when sending a mail,
akonadi asked the wallet for the mail password which I accepted, and
after this I got kmail's password dialog. I saved the mail as draft
instead, quit kmail and restarted, and did not have to specify any password.

> > On the other hand, I have 'akonadi_localbookmarks_resource_0', showing
> > my Konqueror bookmark folders. Is this normal? Is there any use? I
> > only
> > see the folders and the number of entries, but I do not see the
> > entries
> > itself. Can I delete this somehow, or make KMail not display them?
> > Without removing the bookmarks from Konqueror.
>
> Weird thing those should show up in KMail, the content MIME type should be
> totally different.

I already had this in February, when I had the new KDEPIM for a day. I
guess I have to report some bugs on this.

> In any case you can remove the resource, removing a resource only removes
> the backend handler program, not the backend's storage (e.g. not removing
> a data file or directory).

Good to know. Thanks,

	Wonko