kwin performance gets worse and worse with every release

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jun 29 14:19:35 BST 2011

On 06/29/2011 04:07 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras writes:
>
>> I just installed KDE RC1.  The trend of kwin becoming slower and slower
>> continues with this release. [...]
>
> Is it also slow with compositing turned off (Alt-Shift-F12 to toggle)?

There are no effects (minimizing, present windows, etc) with compositing
turned off, so there can be no comparison.

Moving windows around is fast and smooth in both cases.  It's
compositing animations that have become very slow.  When I enable the
Show FPS effect, the FPS goes down to 40 when I trigger an animation.

> Does performance degrade over time?

Nope.  It's slow right after booting the machine.