Running dolphin from a shell script and opening it in a specific directory.

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 2 00:55:54 BST 2011

Alex Schuster wrote, On 06/01/2011 05:03 PM:
> John Woodhouse asks:

>> I have already tried just typing dolphin in the console and it comes up
>> with loads and loads of soprano errors preceded by dolphin (6667) but
>> does launch. I need it to open pointing at a specific directory from a
>> bash script at the point just before it exits.

loads of warning/info/error messages is "normal", and i've tried global
disable with kdebugdialog [x] "disable all debug output" to no avail.

>> Also be interested in any example type web pages on this subject and more
>> info on the general aspects of scripting KDE.
>
> I'm also interested about examples of scripting KDE. You can do many cool
> things via dbus, but I don't know yet how.

qdbus or qdbusviewer to get the callable interfaces...

something like:

#!/bin/sh
# Title: remote-control-dolphin.sh

url="${1:-/My Documents}"

# XXX presumes MainWindow0, could be many named different things, would
# XXX have to search the output and find the one you want to use
if [ qdbus org.kde.dolphin 2>/dev/null ]; then
    qdbus org.kde.dolphin /dolphin/MainWindow0 org.kde.dolphin.MainWindow.changeUrl "${url}"
# XXX this doesn't do what i think it should do (raise the window) oh well.
    qdbus org.kde.dolphin /dolphin/Dolphin_1 com.trolltech.Qt.QWidget.raise
else
    dolphin "${url}"
fi

>> This script must run from
>> the bash shell. One aspect of that is how to stop the shell flashing up
>> briefly?
>
> Don't know what you mean by that.

Same here??

> 	Wonko

--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/