KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 23 23:58:55 BST 2011

Duncan posted on Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:39:33 +0000 as excerpted:

> Maybe when 4.7 release comes out (the ebuilds are already in the
> overlay), I'll try USE=-semantic-desktop again and see how far I get...
>
> ... Actually just tried USE=-semantic-desktop emerge -pNuD @world and
> still (4.6.95/kdepim-4.6.1) get an emerge error saying kmail requires
> that flag for kdepim-libs... probably for the same reason I get the
> useless protest notifications from akonadi about nepomuk being disabled.
> So looks like I can't turn it off entirely, but perhaps I could do it
> with only kdepimlibs having it on, via package.use.
>
> If that works, perhaps I'll try hacking the kmail ebuild to kill its
> kdepimlibs USE=semantic-desktop requirement... or at least see what the
> flag actually controls in kdepimlibs and likely whether kmail will even
> build without it.  I already have it on my list to examine why kmail
> requires korganizer and try to hack that out if possible, since right
> now that's an extra package that I don't use that I'm having to keep
> updated.  Kevin says as far as he knows, korganizer isn't a necessary
> dependency in kde-upstream, but obviously kde/gentoo thinks its
> necessary for something, and it may indeed be necessary for some header
> or the like, as gentoo splits the packages.

No, that's not going to work at least without some serious hacking,
because kdepimlibs requires that kdelibs be built with the
semantic-desktop USE flag set equivalent.

So kmail requires kdepimlibs with semantic-desktop, and if kdepimlibs has
semantic-desktop, then it required kdelibs the same way.  And if kdelibs
and kdepimlibs are built with semantic-desktop, why even bother trying to
turn it off for the rest of kde?

Ugly!