KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 24 03:30:04 BST 2011

Duncan posted on Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:58:55 +0000 as excerpted:

> Duncan posted on Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:39:33 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Maybe when 4.7 release comes out (the ebuilds are already in the
>> overlay), I'll try USE=-semantic-desktop again and see how far I get...
>>
>> ... Actually just tried USE=-semantic-desktop emerge -pNuD @world and
>> still (4.6.95/kdepim-4.6.1) get an emerge error saying kmail requires
>> that flag for kdepim-libs... probably for the same reason I get the
>> useless protest notifications from akonadi about nepomuk being
>> disabled. So looks like I can't turn it off entirely, but perhaps I
>> could do it with only kdepimlibs having it on, via package.use.
>
> No, that's not going to work at least without some serious hacking,
> because kdepimlibs requires that kdelibs be built with the
> semantic-desktop USE flag set equivalent.
>
> So kmail requires kdepimlibs with semantic-desktop, and if kdepimlibs
> has semantic-desktop, then it required kdelibs the same way.  And if
> kdelibs and kdepimlibs are built with semantic-desktop, why even bother
> trying to turn it off for the rest of kde?
>
> Ugly!

Even uglier!

Nearly all the semantic-desktop flags are equality-conditional on the
setting of that flag for kdelibs.

So kmail's requiring it in kdepimlibs, which requires it in kdelibs,
which then forces pretty much everything else with the flag to turn it on
as well.

The only even close to reasonable way to break the cycle, therefore, is
somehow, some way, to either break kmail's dependency on it in kdepimlibs
(and there's several things that flag affects in kdepimlibs; perhaps it's
possible to either hard-code or make conditional on a different USE flag
some of them), or break MY dependency on kmail!

Given all the kmail/akonadi issues we've discussed, it'd be rather ironic
if I eventually dropped kmail not because of operational issues with it,
but rather, because it forced semantic-desktop on for all of kde!  But at
present, that very closely approximates what it does.

kmail is looking more and more like another amarok, forcing in all sorts
of heavy dependencies I'd otherwise be able to avoid.  (Hint as to how
this could well turn out: I dropped amarok for that among other things,
and ultimately have been glad I did!)

I guess that means I'm pretty close to being forced to look for a decent
mail client again... <sigh>

The last time I did that was back in the kde2 era, when I switched from
MS WormOS and Outlook Express due to the MS eXPrivacy anti-feature on
what would have otherwise been upgrades.  I guess I should count myself
lucky that kmail lasted me a decade before jumping the shark.

I wonder if there's a simpler kde-based "plain email" client, that's not
planning to go all akonadi and semantic-desktop on me.  Probably not...

What about an ncurses-based mail client that does for mail what mc does
for file management?   If I'm looking at dropping kmail, I might as well
at least consider dropping my current X dependency for mail as well.
That's rather more likely...

I wonder if there's an LWN "grumpy editor" series article on mail
clients...