Plasma hangs, could not log in

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:13:23 BST 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 02:06:51 AM Alex Schuster wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Me again. Sorry :)  But today I spent over 3 hours until I was able to
> log into KDE again. So I'm asking if something similar has ever happend
> to you.
>
> Normally, when logging in, the splash screen appears for a few (maybe
> ten) seconds, then it fades out into black, and it takes a little while
> until auto-started applications appear. The background stays black for
> 2-3 minutes, and finally all the plasma stuff appears. Before this, the
> plasma-desktop process runs at 100% on one of my two cores.

Recently I had a similar experience, in that the bootup sequence never
finished.  After fiddlingfor a while I did the obvious - renamed ~/.,kde and
got a clean kde.  I then copied back the essetials such as my mail
configurations and ignored application and desktop (read desktop effects,
etc.) altogether.  Those are easily fixed as you come across things.  I've had
no problem since.  Clearly something had either become corrupted or carried
over where there was an incompatibility.

> Ctrl-C in the Akregator main tab does not work. Akregator makes Kontact
> crash about four times per day.

Check for updates.  I saw that a while back, but it doesn't happen now, so
it's almost certainly version or distro-version specific.

> At least KMail now saves the open
> composing windows, except for the subject and the sender. KMail shows
> folders with unread mails, but there are none. This Akonadi stuff
> frequently uses a lot of resources. KNode frequently forgets all
> postings. KMail does not know about my address book contacts,
> distribution lists do not seem to work at all. Spell checking does not
> work for German words with a 'ß' umlaut or with apostrophes, the 'skip
> uppercase words' option has no effect. Plasmoids often don't work or
> crash, plasma itself also crashes often. Sometimes it hangs for several
> seconds, I don't think it was a good idea to make plasma a single
> process. Additional activities appear out of nothing. Virtual desktops
> change their order. Dolphin crashes from time to time, making all other
> instances crash. Drag&Drop with this file manager is a total mess. FTP
> with it does not work when there are umlauts in remote files. Local
> files with wrong encoding even cannot be renamed with it. Somtimes it
> updates when files in displayed folders are changed, sometimes not.
> kio_thumbnail indexes over and over again. kded4 and knotify4 every day
> run at 100% until killed. Shutdown or Logout does not work without
> killing KMyMoney, sometimes also other things crash during logout and
> prevent a shutdown. KWin has a memory leak and does weird things after
> some days of uptime. Applicatiions sometimes start maximized or behind
> other windows. Saving the session often fails and everything is messed
> up. Strigi / Nepomuk / Virtuoso run and run and run and use lots of
> resources, so I turn them off. Nepomuk uses 3G of data storage, KMail
> nearly 2G for my IMAP folders that I never told it to download.
> /var/tmp/kdecache folders also have gigabytes of data in them, until
> /var runs full. Dragging a favicon from Konqueror to the desktop creates
> a shortcut, but with a stupid name than cannot be edited. Online banking
> with Konqueror is no good, I get warnings about untrusted certificates.
> When the screen is locked, the screensaver runs and you press a key, you
> can see the desktop for a little while before it is blanked and you get
> the password dialog. Under heavy load, you have several seconds of time
> to look what the user who locked its deskto does. Better not start Games
> that change the resolution, this also might mess up your desktop. And
> some more which I forgot. And that's only the bugs _I_ experience.

Many of those things have already been addressed.  Yes, any database that
attempts to index everything is going to be big.  The KMail issue, though, I
consider to be more serious.  I take it that you are using the experimental
KMail2?  I understand that IMAP and DIMAP have been merged, and I assume that
that means DIMAP (downloaded) in every case.  I'm not too happy about that
myself.

Anne