OT: language Was: lost Desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 15 01:21:26 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 01:37:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> Duncan writes:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish (That image of a "construction
>> in progress" sign illustrating the concept is a must see!)
>
> Funnny :) I like the 'Spread to fuch the fruit' supermarket. Ugh, 'Fried
> enema'.

Well, fried stuffed (hog) large intestinal casings...

If you think about it, yes, fried enema definitely sounds worse than
sausage, but the literal logic of the translation is inescapable.

(The old saying comes to mind about things you never want to watch,
including the sausage manufacturing process.)

>> Anyway...

>> You got "unlock widgets", but not "add widgets", which you translated
>> as "add mini-programs".  Are different terms used for those two in
>> German, which I believe I saw you mention you were translating from?
>> If so, it'd be interesting to see what the literal translation of
>> unlock widgets is, for contrast.
>
> No, it's always 'Miniprogramme', mini programs. I think I remembered
> 'unlock widgets' from a posting here so I used that. And I was in a
> little hurry, so I didn't think for too long about this.

Understandable...

>> It's the "Folderview" plasmoid.
>>
>> And... "monkey wrench"... not wrong at all, but I found the addition of
>> "monkey" interesting.
>
> I learnt this the hard way.
>
> I was stuck playing Monkey Island, the waterfall blocked my way. There
> was a pump near which seemEd to control it, but I was unable to operate
> it without the proper tool. Of course I already did USE BANANA ON
> METRONOME, so the piano-playing monkey got hypnotized and I could stuff
> him into my pocket, but it didn't occur to me I should USE MONKEY ON
> PUMP, using him as wrench. It was years later when I read the
> explanation. From then on I used 'monkey wrench' for
> 'Schraubenschlüssel'.
>
> dict.leo.org suggests [screw] wrench or spanner. Or 'monkey wrench' for
> 'englischer Schraubenschlüssel'. Ah, 'der Engländer'! An adjustable
> wrench. Oh, and there even is 'crescent wrench' for 'Swiss spanner'.

"Swiss spanner" is a new one to me.

I've always wanted to go up to a mechanic or auto-parts store associate
and ask for an "adjustable spanner" (crescent wrench) here in the US,
tho.  I imagine the look on their face could be priceless.  But I never
remember to try it when the opportunity presents itself.  Oh, well...