lost Desktop

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:28:12 BST 2011

On Friday 15 Jul 2011 00:37:58 Alex Schuster wrote:
> dict.leo.org suggests [screw] wrench or spanner. Or 'monkey wrench' for
> 'englischer Schraubenschlüssel'. Ah, 'der Engländer'! An adjustable
> wrench. Oh, and there even is 'crescent wrench' for 'Swiss spanner'.

I love these essays into language comparisons :-)  Although all English
recognise the word "wrench", "spanner" is the more commonly used here. OTOH,
"monkey wrench" I associate with heavy-duty contexts, such as motor-
engineering.  Then there's that thing that I know of as an "adjustable
spanner" - apparently the English spanner to you LOL

Anne