lost Desktop

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Fri Jul 15 00:37:58 BST 2011

Duncan writes:

> Alex Schuster posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:47:36 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> But you can easily recreate the folder plasmoid. Click the cashew on the
>> very top right of your screen (unlock the widgets before if you do not
>> see it), and select the first menu entry. Something like 'Add
>> mini-programs'. You will get a list of available plasmoids no the bottom
>> of the screen, look for the folder plasmoid (I guess it's called like
>> that). Drag it to the desktop. It probably already shows your desktop
>> folder. If not, open its settings by clicking the monkey wrench symbol
>> on the handle that appears when you are over the plasmoid, there you can
>> select the directory. BTW, I like to have several of those folder
>> plasmoids, pointing to different directories.
>
> I know you're translating here, but I do find the literal translations
> you used both enlightening and entertaining, knowing the English words
> used. =:^)

I'm glad you have fun :-)

> FWIW, one of my akregator feeds is language log, because I
> find how people use (and misuse) words an interesting topic.  They run a
> couple posts a day, generally 7 days a week, so it's not too high
> traffic, just nice and steady daily food for contemplation.  The log is
> in English but discusses language use (and myths about it) in many
> different languages.  Some of the funniest posts are about "Chinglish"
> mistranslations, but eggcorns and snowclones are languagelog coinages and
> the use of language in legal scope gets its turn (and a number of the
> professional linguists there have testified in court cases on the topic)
> too, so it definitely has its serious side as well.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Log
>
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish (That image of a "construction in
> progress" sign illustrating the concept is a must see!)

Funnny :) I like the 'Spread to fuch the fruit' supermarket. Ugh, 'Fried
enema'.

> Anyway...
>
> "Add widgets".
>
> You got "unlock widgets", but not "add widgets", which you translated as
> "add mini-programs".  Are different terms used for those two in German,
> which I believe I saw you mention you were translating from?  If so, it'd
> be interesting to see what the literal translation of unlock widgets is,
> for contrast.

No, it's always 'Miniprogramme', mini programs. I think I remembered
'unlock widgets' from a posting here so I used that. And I was in a
little hurry, so I didn't think for too long about this.

> It's the "Folderview" plasmoid.
>
> And... "monkey wrench"... not wrong at all, but I found the addition of
> "monkey" interesting.

I learnt this the hard way.

I was stuck playing Monkey Island, the waterfall blocked my way. There
was a pump near which seemEd to control it, but I was unable to operate
it without the proper tool. Of course I already did USE BANANA ON
METRONOME, so the piano-playing monkey got hypnotized and I could stuff
him into my pocket, but it didn't occur to me I should USE MONKEY ON
PUMP, using him as wrench. It was years later when I read the
explanation. From then on I used 'monkey wrench' for 'Schraubenschlüssel'.

dict.leo.org suggests [screw] wrench or spanner. Or 'monkey wrench' for
'englischer Schraubenschlüssel'. Ah, 'der Engländer'! An adjustable
wrench. Oh, and there even is 'crescent wrench' for 'Swiss spanner'.

	Wonko