lost Desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 00:13:53 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:47:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> But you can easily recreate the folder plasmoid. Click the cashew on the
> very top right of your screen (unlock the widgets before if you do not
> see it), and select the first menu entry. Something like 'Add
> mini-programs'. You will get a list of available plasmoids no the bottom
> of the screen, look for the folder plasmoid (I guess it's called like
> that). Drag it to the desktop. It probably already shows your desktop
> folder. If not, open its settings by clicking the monkey wrench symbol
> on the handle that appears when you are over the plasmoid, there you can
> select the directory. BTW, I like to have several of those folder
> plasmoids, pointing to different directories.

I know you're translating here, but I do find the literal translations 
you used both enlightening and entertaining, knowing the English words 
used. =:^)  FWIW, one of my akregator feeds is language log, because I 
find how people use (and misuse) words an interesting topic.  They run a 
couple posts a day, generally 7 days a week, so it's not too high 
traffic, just nice and steady daily food for contemplation.  The log is 
in English but discusses language use (and myths about it) in many 
different languages.  Some of the funniest posts are about "Chinglish" 
mistranslations, but eggcorns and snowclones are languagelog coinages and 
the use of language in legal scope gets its turn (and a number of the 
professional linguists there have testified in court cases on the topic) 
too, so it definitely has its serious side as well.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish (That image of a "construction in 
progress" sign illustrating the concept is a must see!)


"Add widgets".  

You got "unlock widgets", but not "add widgets", which you translated as 
"add mini-programs".  Are different terms used for those two in German, 
which I believe I saw you mention you were translating from?  If so, it'd 
be interesting to see what the literal translation of unlock widgets is, 
for contrast. 

It's the "Folderview" plasmoid.

And... "monkey wrench"... not wrong at all, but I found the addition of 
"monkey" interesting.  FWIW, with the six years I spent in former-Crown-
Colony Kenya, I still appreciate the very literal term "spanner" as well, 
and have taken to calling that the spanner/wrench icon. =:^)  But I had 
thought the term "monkey wrench" of purely US origin so I was surprised 
to see "monkey" added in this context.  (Wikipedia seems to agree on 
national origin, altho specific origin is somewhat disputed.)

Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

More information about the kde mailing list