lost Desktop

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Jul 13 21:28:16 BST 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 01:07:31 PM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>
wrote:
> Alex Schuster posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:10:22 +0200 as excerpted:
> > Jerome Yuzyk writes:
> >> Yesterday I inadvertently moved my Desktop to the Panel.
> >
> > Uh, um, how did you do _that_?
>
> Maybe he means a folderview (or other) plasmoid, that was previously on
> the desktop, possibly sized to cover enough of it that it seemed to be
> the entire desktop?  (It might be that at least the folderview layout is
> simply a giant plasmoid, so could be dragged to the panel as well, but I
> don't believe the others are, and I don't know about the folderview
> layout.)
>
> I know it's possible to drag /plasmoids/ from the desktop (and probably
> newspaper, grid, etc, any that can contain plasmoids) layout to a panel,
> as I did that deliberately when I was still tweaking the organization of
> my desktop.  Now that's somewhat rare as I have it pretty much how I
> want it, but I doubt the possibility will go away.
>
> (You well enough answered his question that I have nothing to add, in
> that regard.)

It was a plasmoid, whatever replaced the pre-KDE4 Desktop, but didn't cover
the whole Desktop surface. Problem is, it's not on the Panel anymore since
I had to restart Plasma so I don't know where to drop it from.

I run my Panel vertically on the left of the screen. One day I noticed he
Desktop area had what looked like a scrollbar on the left side it so I
tried it but I guess I inadvertently dragged whatever I thought was the
scrollbar enough onto the Panel that it iconified there. Then when I tried
to use the icon to put things back Plasma went into a 100% CPU spin and I
had to kill and restart it and neither the icon nor my Desktop came back.