Some text doesn't respect Theme's font coloring.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 10 23:26:18 BST 2011

Eric posted on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:48:15 -0400 as excerpted:

> The one big change from 4.7 that im looking forward to (hence the
> kubuntu ppa to get it as fast as possible) Is the rewrite of the effects
> engine to use OpenGL ES. Should speed things up quite a bit; hell I
> might even be able to play 3D games with effects turned on come release
> time haha.
>
> Just of curiousity, what distro do you use, Duncan? I'm looking for a
> really nice KDE distro, right now ive got Suse and PCLinuxOS in VM's and
> im testing them out. The one thing I do like about Kubuntu is that with
> ppa's I can have like any package I want but I hate how outdated some
> things are, like the kernel and powertop (im a laptop user)

FWIW, my distro's perfect for me, but it's not for everyone.  If you like
the ability to heavily customize, however, and don't mind automated
building from sources yourself, Gentoo's very possibly right down your
alley, as it is mine. =:^)

If you don't want to go that drastic, Arch is, from what I've read,
effectively about half way between Gentoo and the usual binary distros,
is said to be a very strong choice for kde users, and tends to be rather
more updated than most distros, package-wise.

Another alternative you may wish to look into is Sabayon.  They're gentoo
based, but binary.  That makes for quick installs, and I'm told they work
with and support both Gentoo's from-source and their own binary package
tree, so for packages they don't carry or if you don't want to wait, just
install the Gentoo package.  They had a new release just come out, with
surprisingly new packages -- kde 4.6.4 and IIRC kernel 2.6.39.1 or some
such (tho notably, it stuck with gnome-2, if you're at all concerned
about gnome, leaving gnome-3 for a later release).  I'm not close enough
to them to know if they have kde 4.6.5 yet, but if not, it's available in
gentoo (tho plan to spend a half-day building it at least, if you do it
that way, depending on your CPU speed/cores and the memory you choose to
use for it).

And both Gentoo and Arch (not sure about Sabayon, but you can always use
it as your Gentoo binary/quick install and switch, if it comes to it) are
rolling update, so no more installation flag-days when who knows what
breaks and you can't easily trace it down or revert because everything
updated at once with the new distro release!  More frequent updates keep
you current, and if something breaks, you only updated a few packages at
once so it's FAR easier to track down, and downgrade that package again
temporarily, if it comes to it.

Other than that, the various distro beta versions get you newer packages
faster.  I of course run Gentoo ~arch (gentoo's testing version), plus a
few selected overlays for even newer stuff (like kde pre-releases and
live-versions in the kde overlay).  Years ago, I ran mandrake (now
mandriva) cooker.  There's also fedora rawhide, etc.