A week of KDE4 usage

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jul 6 12:26:37 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-07-06, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Kevin Krammer writes:

> > Since Debian packages seem to work just fine it could be either a
> > packaging or configuration issue. Does this happen for all user accounts?
> > Also new ones?
>
> Yes, I just created a new user and verified this. BTW, this user is unable
> to log out - when I try to, the background gets greyed out, but then
> nothing happens. The desktop is still usable, except for the logout
> feature.
>
> Now I looked at the files installed by the kde-base/kde-l10n package. I
> expected *.qm files, but instead the translation is done by *.mo files in
> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES. Ah! So I checked my $LC_MESSAGES
> variable, and it was set to 'C'. My fault, obviously. I corrected this,
> and
> everything's in German now! Well, nearly everything, but I'm impressed.
> Most stuff in Systemsettings is still in English, but when I check
> applications like Konsole, Konqueror, Dolphin, Gwenview, all is
> translated.

Systemsettings might be translated after a KDE restart.
But good to know that this problem is mostly solved now :)

> > NetworkManager even has support for getting some configurated networks
> > that ways, but I haven't tried that option myself yet. Will likely also
> > depend on some distribution specific plugin and might not be supported on
> > Gentoo.
>
> I was using it on Linux Mint, a derivative of Ubuntu. While I love Gentoo
> very much, I don't use it for systems I do not often have access to like my
> mom's notebook. And that I don't want to update often.

In this case configuring the connection through Debian's
/etc/network/interfaces should work regardless of NetworkManager being
installed or running.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring