A week of KDE4 usage

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 19:36:48 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:48:01 +0200 as excerpted:

> Thanks. I thought it were some more [being paid]. So, despite my
> constant ranting about the bad quality of KDE4, it's astonishing what
> a group of mostly unpaid volunteers can accomplish. This is a huge
> project, and it is quite cool. If only the stability were better.

For me, it's not the quality so much, as for early kde4 (thru 4.4)
especially, the deception of CLAIMING it was ready for normal users, even
as they KNEW that wasn't true, by all the bugs still saying various
features weren't available in kde4 yet.  And making a very public promise
to support kde3 as long as there were users, then breaking it, didn't
help matters, when it was the only properly working version of kde
available, despite their demonstrably untrue claims about 4.2-4.3 or 4.4.

How different it would have been had they continued to claim it wasn't
ready for normal users well past the point at which most were actually
using it for production despite the official label, taking a clue from
the likes of gmail and icq before it, and if that promise for kde3
support that they failed to carry thru on hadn't ever been made...

I know that would have changed the situation VERY MARKEDLY for me.

That's water under the bridge now, but it still sticks in my craw and
that of many others, and it's not something a lot of the community at
least is going to forget so easily.

The good news is that the plans for kde5 seem to have taken the lessons
they needed to.  I've been meaning to start a new thread discussing that.