Keyboards (was: Anyone know how...)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 5 04:07:50 BST 2011

Felix Miata posted on Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:38:29 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 2011/07/05 01:07 (GMT) Duncan composed:
>
>> I know, but it's a usage issue with pan (my client).
>
> I've never used any email program that doesn't refuse to automatically
> wrap a long, whitespace-free line beginning with the character ">". Did
> you try doing nothing more than prepending > directly to http://? If so
> and failed and I wanted to keep using it, I'd be all over its devs about
> inability to not wrap long URLs. It's so unnecessary.

Well, pan normally rewraps quotes too, in case they exceed the 80-char
limit, if wrapping is turned on.  Note how it wrapped yours in the my
earlier reply.

But I haven't actually tried it with > recently and there were some quite
recent modifications to the way it handled quotes, so let me see (link
from earlier in the thread)... wrapped, unfortunately.

>http://compare.ebay.com/like/150611216303?
var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

FWIW, tho, I read/reply for all my lists using gmane's list2news gateway
located at news.gmane.org, and pan is a newsgroup client, not a mail
client (it hands any direct mail replies off to the configured mail
client), tho mail and news formats are basically the same except for a
few standard headers so that matters little to nothing in context.

And I agree about the necessity, but pan development was only recently
was resurrected from the dead (with a new set of devs) and they have
their hands a bit full ATM.  However, it's on my list to ask them about
when I get a chance, as there's a reasonable chance that the new
developer eyes and brains will see the problem a bit differently.